The Museum of Old and New Art, commonly known as MONA, is a renowned contemporary art museum located in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. It showcases an extensive collection of thought-provoking and challenging artworks from various periods. MONA offers a unique and immersive experience for visitors, combining art, architecture, and technology.
Accessibility at MONA: MONA strives to ensure accessibility for all visitors.
Here are some features and services that make the museum accessible:
- Wheelchair Accessibility: The museum is wheelchair accessible, with ramps and elevators available throughout the building. Wheelchairs can be borrowed free of charge at the museum entrance, but it is recommended to book them in advance.
- Accessible Parking: Designated accessible parking spaces are available close to the museum entrance, making it convenient for visitors with mobility challenges.
- Accessible Restrooms: MONA has accessible restrooms equipped with facilities for individuals with disabilities.
- Assistive Listening Devices: The museum offers assistive listening devices for visitors with hearing impairments. These devices enhance the sound quality during guided tours and other audio-based exhibits.
- Visual Guides and Large Print: MONA provides visual guides and large print materials that offer detailed information about the artworks and exhibitions. These resources can be requested at the information desk.
- Sensory Considerations: MONA acknowledges the sensory sensitivities of some visitors. While the museum can be a stimulating environment, they aim to provide a comfortable experience. Visitors can inquire about quieter areas or obtain noise-canceling headphones at the information desk.
- Trained Staff: The museum staff undergoes training to assist visitors with disabilities and ensure they have a pleasant and inclusive visit. Feel free to approach any staff member if you require assistance during your visit.
- Online Resources: MONA's website provides comprehensive information about accessibility features, services, and resources available at the museum. Visitors can consult the website in advance to plan their visit accordingly.
- Accessible Transportation: When traveling to MONA, consider accessible transportation options such as accessible taxis or public transportation services that cater to individuals with mobility challenges. It is recommended to check local transport services for specific accessibility details.
- Communication and Feedback: MONA values visitor feedback and aims to continually improve accessibility. If you have any specific requirements or suggestions, you can contact the museum in advance or provide feedback during your visit.
Exploring MONA: Here are some tips to make the most of your visit to MONA:
- Plan Ahead: Check the museum's website for information on current exhibitions, events, and any accessibility-related updates. This will help you plan your visit accordingly.
- Guided Tours: Consider joining a guided tour led by knowledgeable staff members who can provide insights into the artworks and exhibitions. Guided tours are available in different formats, including sign language interpretation for visitors with hearing impairments.
- MONA App: Download the MONA app, available for iOS and Android devices, which provides detailed information about the artworks and their interpretations. The app also includes a navigation feature to help you explore the museum easily.
- Take Your Time: MONA offers a vast collection of art, and it's best to allocate ample time to explore the exhibitions at your own pace. There are seating areas throughout the museum where you can rest and reflect on the artworks.
- Special Events and Performances: Keep an eye out for special events, performances, and temporary exhibitions hosted by MONA. These events provide unique opportunities to engage with art in different forms and may have specific accessibility considerations.
The Museum of Old and New Art (MONA) in Hobart, Tasmania, is committed to making art accessible to all visitors. With its inclusive facilities, trained staff, and various resources, MONA strives to provide an enjoyable experience for individuals with disabilities. Plan your visit in advance, take advantage of the accessibility features, and immerse yourself in the diverse and thought-provoking art at MONA.